"The truth is, Mitch," he said, "once you learn how to die, you learn how to live."

August 23, 2006

The Laundromat

Yes, it is true. I had never been to a laundromat until yesterday.

I am new to Berrien Springs. I am new to graduate school life. I am new to living in my own apartment. And I am new to taking dirty clothes to a public arena for cleansing.

Apparently, that was obvious.

"Are you rich or somethin'?" the laundromat employee implored, with both the attitude and voice inflection often used to characterize large-built African-American women, which she happened to be.

I gave her a blank look, not following.

"You never been to a laundromat before?"

I grew sheepish. "Well...I'm definitely not rich...but no, I haven't been to a laundromat before" I admitted, then chuckled. That obvious huh? Might as well have fun with the stereotype of the white, ignorant, rich girl. I'm used to it after all, having lived with it in Africa for the past nine months.

I gave an embarrassed smile and we both laughed together. "Well, these washers here are $1.75, those are $2.25, those are $2.75." She pointed to the dozens of machines.

I then began taking my time loading up the washer, actually reading thoroughly through the directions on how to ensure your clothing gets properly cleaned, like only a first-time laundromat user would. :)

But by the time the afternoon was over, I left feeling much more cultured. I had experienced a laundromat!

So, life in Berrien Springs. They say Andrews University is the 16th nationwide in diversity. They say caucasions are the minority.

You know, I enjoy being the minority.

I am enthralled with any culture (and the people in it) that isn't my own. It's the lady at the laundromat. It's the animation. It's the humor. It's the voice inflections. Yes, even the attitude.

Maybe this is because of the lack of diversity growing up as a North Dakotan girl. Whatever it is, I think I'll fit in just fine.

5 comments:

Carissa said...

Oh Tennille! I'm so excited you started a blog!! I'm going to go add you to mine right now. I can't wait to hear more about your new life as a grad student at Andrews.

Mama Kleven said...

I as well am stoked that you have a blog. Yay! And I also think it's super cool that you enjoy diversity. Closed-minded-ness really irks me. I'm growing too, but the ignorance of the people here who have grown up in the midwest and have no tolerance for culture can get to me sometimes. Embrace diversity! That's what I say.

Wishydig said...

Hello Tennille. What a surprise to find out that you are at Andrews now. What are your plans? What are you studying?

I'm about 2 and a half hours south of you in Lafayette. How odd...

Some words of advice on living in Berrien:
1) Attend the Hebrew church service in Burman Hall at least once. It meets once a month.

B) Make sure to go to the Chinese New Year celebration for the free food.

third) Get used to the idea of making the 45 minute trip to South Bend/Mishewaka. (If you like Indian food "Star of India" (on Edison off Grape Rd) is better than "Shalimar."

also) Stop by the English department and tell them that you were once my student and you still managed to do well in college. (They are the nicest department in the school.)

next) Stay away from the seminary. Those boys are desperate.

Carissa said...

no, seriously, tennille. stay away from the seminary. (!!! :)! Mr. C is funny.)

Anonymous said...

G'day Tennille,

Finally got to check-out your blog! It is the first one I have ever visited. Good thing I reckon. Berrigan Springs sounds like an interesting place, especialy their laundromats!
Sorry the laundromate sterotype you had in mind, wasn't your experiance.! Oh well, you are much more culturally enriched now no doubt!
Have a good week fitting in as the minority!
Monk