"The truth is, Mitch," he said, "once you learn how to die, you learn how to live."

October 3, 2006

In Sickness and In Health

Yesterday was one of the worst days of my recent school life.
I spilled cappaccino on my books, one of which was borrowed.
I rode my bike to school only to have it start raining later in the day.
I forgot my Ethics journal at home, resulting in a zero for the day's assignment.
I received strong evidence that a friend is in disfavor with me.
And I had, and still have, one of the worst migraines of my migraine history. I NEVER have a migraine that lasts over 24 hours!

I try to lie down but my eyes are wide open. I try stand up but have to gain my balance.
I try to eat without an appetite, chewing what tastes like sawdust and forcing a swallow.

The teacher is talking but I don't hear what she says. I try to write "untreated" and it comes out "untreaded", "remodeled" comes out "remolded."
My head is so heavy and my body so weak. I shake and tremble. My heart pounds and I have to catch my breath.

But something about my recent week tells me that something else is going on with my yesterday and today.

See, I cleaned out my fridge and replaced the insides with almost nothing but fruits and vegetables and bread. I cleaned up my diet, trying to clear out my mind. And I added essential minerals and vitamins that I miss. (We'll see how long this lasts...my sweet tooth still has a hold on me!)

I started mountain biking.
I started Raquetball.
I started swimming.
I started volunteering.

But most importantly, I started having weekly meetings with a group of friends to pray for a revival in our spiritual lives and in Berrien Springs. I started a quest for a radical prayer life after a friend shared with me that the spiritual revivals and reformations of history can always be tracked back to a radical prayer life of one solitary person.

And something tells me that someone doesn't like it.

But you know what? In sickness and in health, Jesus, you are the One I come home to at night. And not only that but the One I hold hands with throughout the day. Though I get distracted with the struggles, I will never turn away from You.
Forgive me for the distraction that I have given in to. Forgive me for my weaknesses. Forgive me for being 'too sick' to pray. But I am here to proclaim that I will not let the enemy win. I am yours. In sickness and in health. You are the love of my life and no one else.

Ah.
I'm feeling a change in the winds already....

"Suddenly the wind stopped, and there was a great calm.... And they were filled with awe and amazement. They said to one another, "Who is this man, that even the winds and waves obey him?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Tennille. I'm praying for you right now. Thank you for sharing this.

This almost seems irreverent to ask this after such a post, but when/how/where/with whom did you go mt. biking? Did you like it?

Tennille said...

Thanks Carissa!!
I went Mt. biking Sunday morning, on the mountain biking paths behind Andrews Univ. They have a a really neat area back there, trails for beginners up to more the expert level. Of course, I'm very very much a beginner, so I took it pretty easy. Got a little dirty, it was fun. It was slippery and wet when I went. There are some pretty good trails, I could spend all day out there! But I was only out for an hour or so, just checking it out mostly. It was just me and my bike. :) I loved it! Can't wait to go again. And I am loving your stories! We will have to go together sometime when I can make it over there or you here.... :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds awesome! Yes, we'll definitely go together sometimme.