"The truth is, Mitch," he said, "once you learn how to die, you learn how to live."

December 8, 2006

Losing My Marbles

Have you ever done something that made you wonder if old age was coming sooner than expected?

I have.

Like losing my balance and falling out of the tub, pulling the shower curtain and rod down on top of me. What was I doing to lose my balance? Nothing. Just standing.
Praise God I didn't break a hip.

Like forgetting when my birthday is and writing down March 23 on a form. (That's not my birthday.)

Like when I almost poured contact solution on my toothbrush instead of applying toothpaste.

Like when I second guessed that turning left at the blinking light was the way to go home, when I had been turning left at the blinking light for 20 years. (Tidbit of knowledge, this actually has a name. It's called Jamais vu, sort of like the opposite of deja vu. Thanks Pscyhological Assessment! I did retain some knowledge!) (Hmm..sounds like a good trivia question to me. Like when your stuck in a car on a 10hr. road trip...)

In case this post does actually make you wonder about the status of my brain, I'll try to defend myself by saying that all these things happened over a course of many years. And maybe a couple of them after having a concussion. Maybe...

At any rate, just in case I wake up tomorrow and I don't know where I am or what my name is, know that I love you. Each and every one of you. And know that it's okay to be really weird. And sing off tune. And fall out of the shower. And forget how to spell "the."  And let your sister talk you into riding a bike off of the quonset while she video-taped. And staying up too late writing senseless things on a blog when you should be in bed, hoping that the senseless thing might just make someone laugh, and that laugh might just be what that person needed. And then carry on to someone else who needed it too. Or something....

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Tennille! I miss you.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited now about you coming! I can't wait. What do you want to do when you're here? We can do whatever you want.

Tennille said...

oh, I miss you too! And I am excited about visiting as well! YAY! Carissa, are you going to be around...was it the week between Christmas and New Years, Meghan? I forgot already, shame on me! I think it was then. I will be away both weekends, but during the week I was planning to come for a couple days. I'm not sure what I want to do! I'm not too demanding. :) Just hanging out will be good enough for me. I'll have to be thinking about it. I am so happy to be going home on FRIDAY! Hurrah! Right now though, I am trying to write my eulogy and I'm stumped. Any ideas? :) It's due tomorrow and then I am DONE! wohoo.

Anonymous said...

Carissa is going to TN that week. :( Your eulogy? Sounds uncomfortable. You could just write what you want others to say about you when you die. right? Like, "she was a kind-hearted, caring person who looked out for others before herself." "She lived a life one would be proud of, facing challenges as opportunities for strength, setbacks as opportunities for change, and discouragements as opportunities for growth."
Or something like that.