"The truth is, Mitch," he said, "once you learn how to die, you learn how to live."

March 14, 2008

Ramblings of a sick woman (but a very blessed sick woman)

Well, I am home sick with a migraine.  This one is a doozy.  Bleh.
Between lying in a semi-fetal position to ease the nausea, at the same time trying to balance an ice pack on my left temple area, while also trying to use a laptop, I must be a sight.

But it's one of those times when I can't nap because my brain is too wired, yet I can't move because my body is weak and stomach too sensitive. What is one to do in times like this? I need to do something without doing anything! If that makes any sense...

Well, it's a perfect time to write a blog.

What is new?

I have now been at my new job for a month and a half.  It's been good.  I keep so busy that the days just fly by.  It's been a little strenuous on me though because after 8.5 hours of non-stop busy-ness, I come home to gulp some supper down and off I am again with David on a home visit or prayer meeting; sometimes I'm eating supper in the car!  I love visiting people's homes and I love prayer meetings, which makes it easier.

Work has already taught me a bit about conflict management, saying things gently, and listening intently. I am also learning things about myself. I can't small-talk.  I'd rather just get in and get out.  Get what I want and go about my next task.  I've found that I'll walk up to someone in the conference office, say "hey do you know how I..." or "Here's the..." or "could you..." without a "Hey [Mary], how are you doing today?" You'd think I would have learned this skill in Mali, Africa, where you have to ask someone how they are doing, how their spouse is, their children are, how they slept, etc. before saying anything else.  I simply find it fascinating when I walk by an office and see two people talking about their children or what they did last evening, etc.  It's so strange because I love people.  People are so fantastic. They are funny, they are smart, they are peculiar, they are...well, they're great! So why in the world did I just cut someone short who was in my office trying to chat by saying "So.... is there something I can help you with?" :) Oh my... Well, I'm working on it.

Well, we are all settled in our new house now, except for putting up some decorations. YAY! It finally feels like a home.  My home! Our home! 

David is enjoying learning and growing through his experience as pastor. As in the senior pastor, or the only pastor. He just came back the other night from a board meeting and said "Wow! That was exhilarating." :)

We recently had a training on how to give Bible studies at Williamston and that was really powerful.  The church is small, so we were very happy with the 11 people that came for it.  It is really exciting to be a part of an evangelistic effort.  I can see the Lord really working in all of our lives, to bring us together with the common goal of reaching others with the truth.  As our trainer mentioned, "when you engage in personal evangelism, you are putting yourself in the center of God's activity." It's true. I can sense it already. Things are happening. Powerful things.  God is good.

Well before this gets too long I better sign off.  Hey! My head and stomach feel better! I knew I needed to blog! :)

One last thing before I do.

Reasons why I love being a pastor's wife (David's in particular):
- My spiritual walk is constantly being refreshed
- I get to learn deeper levels of flexibility (oh... we're going where for Sabbath lunch? And after that we're going where for what event? And then we're doing what with who on Sabbath evening? Oh, you're speaking tonight for Friday vespers? Oh, we're spending all day at Williamston which means there is potluck which means I need to have something to bring? etc.)
- I get to meet all sorts of people all down the spectrum and love who they are.
- I get to advocate for the underdog.
- I get to give my opinions on a sermon before I hear it on Sabbath. :)
- And I get to do social work on a grand scale without the paperwork! It can't get any better than that. :)

Blessings on the coming Sabbath.

7 comments:

Carissa said...

Oh Tennille, it's good to hear about your life. I hope you feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey Tennille good to hear your doing well, besides your headache:(

Anonymous said...

Hey Tennille that last comment was from me-Eunice:)

Mama Kleven said...

You sound like you're doing well and learning a lot! So many new things for you, I'm happy your life is moving on in a way that makes you content. Can't wait to hear more. Thanks for taking the time to update us, even though the circumstances were not so great. :)

Amy S. said...

Hey dear,
I finally made my blog ;) You'll have to check it out one of these days, when you aren't super busy! I need to give you a call too!
oedenrode.blogspot.com

Miss you!!!
Amy

Trav'ler Jenn said...

fearless learning is a sign of a courageous heart:)

Anonymous said...

I came across your blog through my friend Kesse. She and I spent two weeks together in Zimbabwe last fall. I have some info I'd like to send you about an Adventist church we attended together in Zimbabwe. Can you email me?

robin.truesdale@comcast.net