The joy I experienced last Sabbath was a deep joy that is rarely matched.
Gracie came to church.
I wrote about Gracie a number of months ago. She has been out of the church for many years, possibly more than 20. Only two of our current members at Williamston even knew her. Months back I began to send out the leftover copies of the bulletin to our missing members. Gracie was one of them. Then, David and I visited Gracie and she expressed a desire to come back to church, touched that the church still "remembered" her; encouraged and uplifted that she was thought of. She told us that day that she would be in church the following Sabbath, but we never saw her. She never came. I called her and she had a valid excuse. Then she was gone for a few more weeks visiting family out of state. And the desire she once felt to come back eased again and months passed. I continued to send her the bulletin most every week, wondering if it was really making any difference. I would send her a note in it every now and again, letting her know we missed her. David and I visited again. She was touched, but still no action followed to join us. Faithfully I continued with my "ministry."
Then, something happened.
The Lansing church held a New Years Eve singles event and asked area churches to advertise it in their bulletins. As the bulletin secretary, I added it to the already filled announcement section, doubting it would generate any response from our little congregation. Later, I sent that bulletin to Gracie.
Unknown to me, the Lord was working on Gracie's heart with each bulletin that came to her home. Slowly, sweetly, and gently, the Lord was calling her to come back.
Gracie read about the singles event that week and signed up to attend. I can't say what happened at that event, but the following Sabbath, she was back at the Williamston church. That weekend, though, we were away on vacation and I heard the news later in the week that she had come. Our elder told me she had stated she was going to start coming back regularly again. I praised the Lord and prayed that Gracie might be faithful to her decision. Our members kept in touch with her that next week and last Sabbath morning, tears came to my eyes as I saw her walk up the steps to our church. I was waiting for her, bulletins in hand, ready to greet her with a big smile and a hug.
I won't forget what she told me next. I am here because of you and Pastor. It was those bulletins. Every week you sent me the bulletin and the Lord kept telling me to come back. It is all because of you. I assured her it was not me, but only the Lord, and she agreed.
Certainly, only the spirit of God can create in one's heart what He did in Gracie's. I just praise Him for using me and my very humble means to reach her. I praise Him for teaching me about quiet persistence; not letting the discouragement of silence affect my actions. Certainly it is amazing how God partners with us to reach others. It is a beautiful joy to experience.
Thank you dear Lord.
2 comments:
What joy! I remember you talking about Gracie before and so it is so exciting to see that she has responded to God's gentle call to her heart. What an important lesson learned - that the "little things" faithfully done for Jesus bring great reward!
What a beautiful story! Such a wonderful testimony - how easy it is to forget that the Lord works even when from our viewpoint nothing is happening.
Post a Comment