"The truth is, Mitch," he said, "once you learn how to die, you learn how to live."

April 25, 2010

But, Who Am I?

There has been something weighing very heavy on my mind for many months, maybe years. Something I’ve wanted to put down in words in order to form structure to my thoughts.
This morning I cannot wait any longer.
I just finished reading 1 Kings 17 and 18 and chapter 10 in Prophets and Kings.
Elijah is given the call of God to stand faithful for His statutes before King Ahab, an apostate king who has led the nation to the lowest depths of idol worship.
In Prophets and Kings, Ellen White expounds on Elijah’s character and his bold execution of his calling. She then compares that to today and gives us these words:
“Infidelity is fast becoming fashionable. ‘We will not have this man to reign over us,’ is the language of thousands. Luke 19:14. The smooth sermons so often preached make no lasting impression; the trumpet does not give a certain sound. Men are not cut to the heart by the plain, sharp truths of God’s word.
“There are many professed Christians who, if they should express their real feelings, would say, What need is there of speaking so plainly? They might ask, Why need John the Baptist have said to the Pharisees, ‘O generation of vipers, who hath warned you to flee from the wrath to come?’ Luke 3:7. Why need he have provoked the anger of Herodias by telling Herod that it was unlawful for him to live with his brother’s wife? The forerunner of Christ lost his life by his plain speaking. Why could he not have moved along without incurring the displeasure of those who were living in sin?
“So men who should be standing as faithful guardians of God’s law have argued, till policy has taken the place of faithfulness, and sin is allowed to go unreproved.” […]
“God cannot use men who, in time of peril, when the strength, courage, and influence of all are needed, are afraid to take a firm stand for the right. He calls for men who will do faithful battle against wrong, warring against principalities and powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places. It is to such as these that He will speak the words: ‘well done, good and faithful servant; … enter thou into the joy of thy Lord.’ Matthew 25:23.”
Here, Ellen White is predominantly talking about ministers and their calling to “reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long-suffering”, not wavering to public opinion or becoming “men pleasers.” She is calling ministers to be Elijahs, standing unwavering in the face of macro- and mezzo-level apostasies.
But there is a message in here for the rest of us as well. A message to be faithful Elijahs in our own sphere of influence. In this particular passage there is heavy emphasis on rebuking sternly and resolutely, and this is because of the nature of Israel’s corporate sins.
But when dealing with personal relationships, the importance of love, humility, and long-suffering is not to go unaccounted for. And it does seem that oftentimes this latter part is left out, leaving a bitter taste in the mouth of some at the thought of “rebuking” or “correcting.”
But this is a distraction. Somehow, somewhere along the way, we have utterly lost this idea of steadfastness and unwavering in the truth. Somewhere we let go of the ideals. Somehow we let speaking the truth take second chair to all-inclusiveness and harmony in our relationships. And I am left surprised and saddened at where I find us now.
How many times have I heard from my Adventist peers and church members, the following statements:
“It doesn’t matter what day they worship on. God knows their hearts.”
“I’m not going to tell someone that they aren’t allowed to find happiness and fulfillment [through a homosexual relationship].”
“I don’t think we need to tell people to give up pork. Let God do that.”
“Who am I to tell someone they can’t have sexual intimacy [outside of marriage]? God knows their heart.”
Who are you?!
How about a sinner saved by grace, and now a bearer of the good news?
Who are you?
Who am I?
Please, help me answer.
Are you a sinner in need of grace? Then this will give you the humility you need.
Do you love one another? Then this will give you the genuine concern that you need.
Do you hold to the truths as presented in scripture? Then this will give you the knowledge you need.
Is Jesus Lord of your life? Then this will give you the wisdom you need.
When my Adventist friend of many years started going to church on Sunday, my heart ached. After the phone conversation that revealed this, I wept. I pleaded with the Lord.
After I discovered this weekend that an old college friend of mine is gay, my heart ached. I cried. I pleaded with the Lord.
When I discover that people close to me are faltering, wavering, falling from the faith, I cannot help but weep. The tears fall and my heart is heavy.
Tell me Lord, when will this end? How long with this go on? I ask. How do you bear the burdens of this world, Lord? I wonder. God made us empathetic beings, but even my ability to empathize is not near that of the burden Christ bears every day. Yet, I’m broken under only my small parcel. Trying to bear the sins of my loved ones, pleading for forgiveness, though they may not ask it. Pleading for victory, though they may not want it. Oh, that they might know! That they might taste and see that the Lord is good!
And yet, there are some who don’t seem to be fazed when they see sin. They turn away. They try to justify it. They justify it because they don’t want to condemn. They justify it because it’s easier. They don’t want to call it sin. Sin is too harsh. It’s arrogant. But, yes, I am a sinner! Yes, I need you to plead to the Lord on my behalf too! Please, won’t you do that for me, too? As I have for you?
But please, don’t walk away from me and say to yourself “Who am I? Let God correct her.”
As we come to each other in love and humility, that love and concern will speak louder than our words. And it must, if we are to defend our Lord and uphold that which is right and good while being redemptive. And we must defend our Lord and uphold that which is right and good, if we want our family and friends, and ourselves, to be found faithful at the glorious day of our Lord.
But, who am I?
I am a sinner saved by grace, and now a bearer of the good news.

5 comments:

fenhopper said...

i appreciate the premium of integrity in this. and the tension between integrity and charity is a difficult one.

there is an easy path for all values to be put aside with harmony as the ultimate goal. and i certainly know there are times when harmony takes less effort, and might even work with indifference as an insidious cohort. it's far too easy to claim not to judge, when really we're choosing not to care.

and i think there's an important distinction to be made here:

there are times when we keep our judgment silent, and there are times when we keep silent, withholding even silent judgment.

when we withhold, it might be because we have no judgment and don't seek to pursue it, or it might be because we stand on an understanding of G-d that does not allow that judgment.

it's my view that when we seek to share with others our understanding of G-d, it should always be to share the breadth of his character: the good news, just as you say.

to speak frankly, i'll address the issue of homosexuality. it is easy to read passages from the bible and conclude that there is no equivocation on the issue. the condemnation of physical acts and the clearly disapproving portrayal of the Sodomites' treatment of Lot's guests is almost an impenetrable rebuke.

but even so, it requires a reading. it requires that we approach a message about G-d's judgment in one situation and apply it to other situations. those who would denounce homosexual unions, and those who would defend them, are both put in a situation of arguing that the words in the bible are generalizable beyond, or are limited to specific circumstances.

it's my view thru study and prayer, and i know it is rejected by many, that a homosexual union can reflect and transmit a G-dly model of love and purity. i've been told, even when i lay out the evidence and support for my view, that i'm twisting the bible, and navigating a tortuous path to my belief. in essence, from those who disagree with me, i've heard the least generous accusations of intellectual and spiritual dishonesty, and the more generous accusations of uninformed naïvete. each reaction is accompanied by an assurance that my mistaken faith is forgivable if i change my mind.

but there are those who disagree without rebuke. those who share their differing view, acknowledging that my view is as honest, and as informed as theirs. my view is trusted as an approach to the biblical text, not a departure from it. i believe the important difference between this principled stance, and the other principled rebukes, is a recognition that reading is not merely a passive absorption, but an active recreation of G-d's character.

i make this point, not to get into the specifics of the moral question of homosexuality, but to wonder about the ways we can purposefully share our view of G-d with those who we know don't see him the same way. if we choose to stand and work against that which we see as "wrong", and we can do it with intellectual honesty and a truly non-condemning spirit, is it ever necessary to express our view of what G-d does not accept? is it enough to express our faith in what G-d will never withhold?

i have faith that that is always enough. i believe our views of G-d's limits are for us to struggle with, not for us to share, unless asked. and when we find ourselves struggling to understand the decisions of others, especially when it's because those decisions run counter to our own, our pain might be more from sensing our own separation from them, than from knowing their separation from G-d.

Tennille said...

I truly appreciate your thoughts. As always, they push me to think harder and search deeper. After prayerful consideration, here are some thoughts.

First, I just want to share that I have looked at homosexuality beyond a surface-level reading of scripture and I am knowledgeable about the points supporting your view. And though it is obvious that we place homosexuality in different categories (and I don’t think that will change on either of our sides), I understand your use of that as an example to question how we should and should not share God. And I appreciate that. Certainly our sharing of God should foremost consist of the “breadth of His character” and our faith in “what G-d will never withhold.” Thank you for that reminder. You address important ideas that I want to respond to.

You wrote: there are times when we keep our judgment silent, and there are times when we keep silent, withholding even silent judgment. when we withhold, it might be because we have no judgment and don't seek to pursue it, or it might be because we stand on an understanding of G-d that does not allow that judgment.

My thoughts: I enjoy the distinction you've made here. I do understand there are times when we must withhold even silent judgment. Many times! I am surely guilty of not doing that. Yet, it is that which through God’s revealed Word He has forbidden us from, or "limited" us to, that, I argue, we must, and in fact are biblically called to, judge. But what does judge mean?

You wrote: i believe our views of G-d's limits are for us to struggle with, not for us to share, unless asked.

My thoughts: I believe God through His Word explicitly gave us limits as well as the commission to share those limits. Granted, it is not the limits we are voicing, but the truth that comes with inherent limitations. But are those limits designed to exclude? Or are they designed to provide harmony and freedom? Sharing with others the “limits” God has given us is not for the purpose of condemning, scolding, or excluding. Rather, it should be for the purpose of desiring for them the most fulfilled, glorious life possible on this earth and in the new earth. The questions I often ask are: Are we living for this life? Or are we living for the life to come?

When I see a friend turning to a homosexual lifestyle, are they living for this life, or the life to come? When I see a friend go to church on Sunday because it's more convenient or perhaps more enjoyable, are they living for this life, or the life to come? When I keep pride in my heart and refuse to apologize to someone I need to, am I living for this life or the life to come? What about when I have lustful thoughts? When I tell a lie? Yes, even when I judge. Am I living for this life? If I am, then something must change.

But I believe there is a judging that is done for the life to come. And it results in redeeming. It results in freedom.

Am I there? Am I at “freedom”? No. But maybe we can journey there together. But we must decide each day to live for the life to come, and that is at an earthly loss. But oh what a heavenly gain!

Tennille said...

continued...
Sometimes we may not be able to understand why we have to choose earthly loss, but sometimes God doesn’t ask us to understand. Do we choose Saturday over Sunday because it makes sense? It certainly won’t make sense at the end. We choose it because God ordained it.

You wrote: and when we find ourselves struggling to understand the decisions of others, especially when it's because those decisions run counter to our own, our pain might be more from sensing our own separation from them, than from knowing their separation from G-d.

My thoughts: I really appreciate your final point here. What a thought! In my experiences as shared in the post, certainly there is a personal mourning over the ideological separation between them and me. But the pain is much deeper than that. I reject that it is from “knowing their separation from God” as you have put it though. It is pain in knowing there is something better than what they are choosing and wishing to claim it for them if only I could.

Perhaps this is the tiniest fraction of the pain Christ feels each time we choose a wayward step. He knows there is a better way and wants to claim it for us if He could. If we would let Him. The thought of that certainly brings me to my knees. And perhaps that is its purpose.

In conclusion, I do not believe God has given us the wisdom to judge all things, including hearts. But he does give us the wisdom to know (to judge) when there is a better way. And I believe above everything else, He wants us to share it.

fenhopper said...

thank you for your response.

i hope i didn't communicate that i believe your burden for others comes from a sense of assurance regarding their relationship with G-d. i trust it does come from your very sincere interest in their well-being.

and i do trust that your views on homosexuality are not simple and unexamined readings. i truly don't want to suggest that your conclusion's are tied to a surface understanding. i trust your care and diligence on this.

the question of this life or the next is ever-present, just as you say. and it can be applied equally to every relationship, every goal. what are our eternal values? what are the roots of our desires? i probably do flinch a little at the suggestion that a homosexual relationship is the product of selfish or earthly thinking-- but i do realize that's not exactly what you said. i'll connect it to your closing thought.

our vision of a 'better way' is tied to a necessary value. we have to ask ourselves, "better for what?" and i try to remind myself that the path towards G-d is blessed as an approach to his character. from all places. over all terrains. that approach is as varied as there are people searching for him.

the important part of that is, for me, a reminder that people can be moving towards G-d in ways that i might not be able to. their better way, is sometimes very different from my better way.

and i'm not talking about a radical relativity here, where anything goes and i have no responsibility for the safety and well-being of my friends. i can tell them how i see things if we have a trusting relationship. and that same trust should allow me to believe them when they tell me what they see just as clearly.

you've expressed a beautiful humility in your faith, and in your desire to share it. i don't believe there is anything that i can advise you to add to the service you're constantly seeking to offer. in all of this your focus has been on sharing G-d with others as you see him. i admire that. and i laud it.

Eunice Jahn said...

This is a very interesting post! I agree with you on the fact that we should call sin by it's rightful name and not just let those things we know are wrong just slide.
I have been spending a lot of time in prayer lately b/c I've felt impressed and it's amazing to see the ways God is leading in my life. I am now more impressed to do things that I would have never done before. It's awesome to see the ways God works and inspires me to change different areas of my life. Your last post is also interesting b/c I also listen to music as a prayer to God. How uplifting it is! :)