"The truth is, Mitch," he said, "once you learn how to die, you learn how to live."

December 21, 2014

Fighting!

In modern Korean culture, the English word "fighting", usually accompanied with an exclamation point or two, has been adopted as an adage of encouragement, often meaning something similar to "Good luck", "You can do it", or "You've got this." It is often used while gesturing with a fist at chin level.
There have been several moments when I've wanted to use this phrase with friends or coworkers, only to realize I would have to explain to them why I just shouted "Fighting!", putting a bit of a damper on the exclamation.

I think this phrase is wonderful for a few different reasons. With only one word, it paints a perfect word picture to encourage effort, resolution, and perseverance despite obstacles. It reminds me of that song of our youth, "We Are Soldiers."

The chorus goes:
I am a soldier. I've got my hand on the Gospel plow,
But one day I'll get old, and can't fight anymore,
I'll say, Stand up and fight anyhow(!!) *hand as a fist at chin level* 

There are moments in my Christian walk when I become discouraged. Perhaps it's local church rumblings, interpersonal dysfunction, or outreach effort disappointments. These are moments when I feel like giving in; turning my back, saying, "Forget it. Who cares, anyway?" I'll just continue doing my thing and not concern myself with this issue. It's a moment of giving in to complacency, apathy perhaps. It's a moment of decision to do nothing and let the world just keep turning on its axis like it's always done. "I give up" trying to win this person over. "I give in" to the dysfunction of this strained relationship. "I'm too tired" to keep fighting for peace, unity, harmony.

But then a face with a fist enters my mind and I say, "Ani. Fighting!"

Ephesians 6:10-20 says:
Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord and in the power of His might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand. Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace; above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one. And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God; praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints— and for me, that utterance may be given to me, that I may open my mouth boldly to make known the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains; that in it I may speak boldly, as I ought to speak.
Hebrews 12:1, 2 offers additional encouragement with another word picture:
Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
We are in a battle that requires endurance. I may faint along the way. I may stumble and fall but, "A righteous man falls seven times, and rises again; but the wicked are overthrown by calamity" (complacency?) Proverbs 24:16

No matter what, I must rise, take up my sword, and keep fighting. I must either take up my armor and fight in this battle, the Great Controversy, or the battle will be fought, and lost, on my behalf. Whether I am old or tired or failing from exhaustion and disappointment, there is no other option but to "Stand up and fight anyhow."

With the strength of Christ, I must fight for souls. With His strength, I must fight for harmony and unity, forgiveness and restoration. This is a battle that requires perseverance.

So, together, let's raise our fists. Let's not give up or give in. Fighting!

No comments: