"No." I said simply, not really thinking much about the question. I am asked about future babies every once in awhile and was also asked more recently if there was a pregnancy when I cut back to part time (hoorah for part time).
But then she went on to say, "Oh, I just noticed you had a little tummy there."
Oh you did? Huh.
Happily, I didn't take any offense because I know well enough that I haven't gained anything lately. But I did have to wonder about what it takes to be that bold.
Perhaps my bulging belly earlier was due to the fellowship meal we had just eaten--a yearly tradition of 'Aunt Bette's tacos' made by the men of the church. Combined with the Mother's Day emphasis today, maybe it was just "in the air."
But I do want to say a very happy mother's day to a few of my favorite individuals! Mom, you're the best mother ever and I am so blessed to have grown up in your household. You've been a tremendous blessing to me and I love you so much. Thank you for always answering when I'm at the grocery store wondering where I would find the next item on my list, or when I'm in the kitchen wondering why my zucchini bread didn't raise. Thank you for your guidance, love and longsuffering.
Lace, your daughters are the most beautiful girls in the world. I love being aunty to them and I only wish we were closer so I could be more of a part of their lives. You are a tremendous mother to them and I know they will grow up with a love and respect for their mother. Thank you also for being a wonderful sister to me and all you've done for me over the years.
Meghan, HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!! You're a mother!!! I'm SO excited for you and your little Elaina. I am so sure that you have fit wonderfully into this new role of yours. My prayers and thoughts are with you as you continue to learn and grow, as well as teach and mold precious Elaina into a wonderful reflection of God's love.
So thank you ladies, for being wonderful women and mothers!
On the subject of Mother's Day, I had organized a Mother's Day Tribute during the worship service of the Williamston church. I had a small gift for each mother and afterwards I had a few left over. Which I was hoping for because I wanted to mail some to a few of our missing female members. I should say here that not long ago, the women of this church got together and split up all the names of our missing female members, assigning some to each of us as "Heart Call sisters." Basically an outreach to win them back. I have three, and of those, I have met only one before. The others had quit coming to church before we even came. So as part of my personal outreach to them, I began by sending them our church bulletin every week or so.
Today after church (and the Aunt Bette's tacos), David and I did some door-to-door outreach, then decided to do some pop visits on some members we've been trying to connect with. One of which was one of my "sisters", one that neither of us had ever met before. The most touching and encouraging experience followed. She answered our knock at the door, we introduced ourselves, I gave her the Mother's day gift and a hug, and she invited us in. As we sat on her couch, she shared with us about different struggles she had faced. I could sense the sorrow, the second-guessing she was doing on some of her actions and decisions. Then she said to me, simply, "You remembered me." Her daughter was there too, a convert to Muslim as was evident by her dress. The daughter affirmed her mother by saying, "Every week, you would send her a bulletin. I asked mom if these people had even met her before and she said 'no' and I thought, 'wow, that's a church to belong to.' Week after week, remembering my mom even though there was no sign from the other end. After years and years of not attending. Thank you." Again and again, my "sister" would say that the Lord had been working on her heart. Someone would call her and invite her to church. Then the notes she would get from me in the mail. Now an actual visit. "I'm coming next week" she said. "I can't deny it any longer." Again and again she would reference the notes I'd send, the simple church bulletins and the "Women of Spirit" magazine we send her. "I read it cover to cover." As we left, the thank you's were so genuine and sincere. I had tears in my eyes as I realized that such a simple action, so easy to do, had made such an impact on this precious lady. I had simply remembered her, and it had made all the difference in the world.
Wow.
Lord, to You be the glory.
Continue to use me to reach Your children.
What a rewarding place to be, right in the middle of Your gospel commission.
6 comments:
What an awesome story, Tennille. God is so good.
And what does make a person so bold to say you have a tummy!! Unbelievable!! :)
Love the story at the end! God works in such quiet unseen ways sometimes to melt the hearts of those He came to save. What a wonderful experience to see the difference something so simple can make!
Hi Tennille,
Thank you for the kind words, I appreciate it very much. Enjoyed reading the blog and especially story at the end. I love you!
Mom
Was looking for a website and somehow I ended up here instead. Glad I did. What a touching story. Very encouraging. :]
Tennille, that ending story was so touching. I've had experiences like that before and you walk away feeling so humble to think that God could use your small "insignificant" actions to deeply touch a heart. I'm so proud of you Tennille and how you are using your gift of making people feel loved and importmant. You make a very special pastor's wife. One day I'll join the team! :)
your words are too kind Tennille. The girls love you and so do I!
Lace
Post a Comment